27 December, 2008

Christmas fun

Sharpe’s Plot

Fellow fans of Sharpe, especially in his Sean Bean incarnation, may enjoy this sneak preview of the latest Sharpe TV movie, discovered by intrepid Hollywood undercover reporter Nan Hawthorne.

The scene opens as Wellington, sitting in his tent at his desk, discusses an important message with his intelligence expert, Snidely Malevolent. "Your Grace," Malevolent says in a knowing way, "we must find a man who is expendable but has a chance at succeeding at this suicide mission."
Wellington raises one eyebrow. "Sharpe."
--Read the rest

Historical Christmas Presents

What would some famous historical figures have wanted to find in their Christmas stockings (if they had them)? Susan Higginbotham, Nan Hawthorne and Gabriele Campbell have been finding out. Some examples below – click the links to read the rest.

Susan Higginbotham

  • Edward I: Scotland.

  • Piers Gaveston: Just something handmade. No, really! Well . . . if you insist, jewels are always appropriate.

  • Isabella of France: My jewels back.

  • Hugh le Despenser the younger: Whatever someone else is getting.

  • Roger Mortimer: Hugh on a platter.



Nan Hawthorne

  • Ethelred the Unready - a day planner

  • Alfred the Great - an oven timer

  • Aethelflaed, Lady of the Mercians - for Bernard Cornwell to get me right in his novels*

  • Godiva of Coventry - super hold hair spray

  • Offa of Mercia - a really butch dyke



Gabriele Campbell

  • Caligula: Shiny new boots.

  • Agricola: Caledonia.

  • Eleanor of Aquitaine: Marriage counselling for my husband. It's not my fault.

  • Henry II: Family therapy for my wife and sons. It's not my fault.

  • William Wallace: The director of Braveheart.



*If Alfred is allowed two requests, I think he'd like this one as well

3 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

Lol, that Sharpe post had me in stitches.

Poor Alfred - but he fares less badly than some other historical characters in books and movies. ;)

Susan Higginbotham said...

Thanks for the link, Carla!

Kit moss said...

I'm glad my "Sharpe's Plot" tickled you so. Clearly I got it right, eh? And we had so much fun with the Christmas presents, a few of us are doing another team post on new year's resolutions. Watch for them on our blogs linked in your post on January 1st!

Nan Hawthorne
http://nanhawthorne.blogspot.com