19 May, 2009

May-time

It's May, and the sculptural tree stump from my February post is now knee-deep in bluebells














The brilliant white flowers of stitchwort form drifts along hedgerows and verges....











...sometimes sharing a sunny bank with bluebells












"Apple blossom, pink and wholesome and sweet."

--LM Montgomery, one of the Anne of Green Gables books














There's an old saying, "It isn't spring until you can cover seven daisies with your shoe."
I have small feet. I think this counts.

Summer is icumen in.

10 comments:

Passages to the Past said...

How I wish I could see this in person...so beautiful! It's oddly cool here today in Georgia, but the Magnolia's are trying to bloom...I can't wait til the air is filled with that sweet scent!

Carla said...

Amy - thanks, and glad you liked the pictures. I bet your magnolias are worth waiting for!

Kathryn Warner said...

Lovely pics! The pink blossom here lasted for all of about 3 days. Grr, stupid strong wind!

Rick said...

All of it is beautiful, but from this angle the tree stump is spooky! Like an animal head with one horn or a crest, and a wooden eye staring back ...

Carla said...

Alianore - thanks, and bad luck about the blossom! I hope it had time to turn into incipient apples before the wind got up.

Rick - yes, I know it's spooky, that's why I like it :-) It doesn't take long in a British wood, even a tame and managed one, to see where Tolkien got the idea for Fangorn from....

Gabriele Campbell said...

Pretty flowers.

Rick said...

Carla - what struck me on my one trip to England, many years ago, was how much it looked like the Shire. :-)

Carla said...

Gabriele - thanks

Rick - given where Tolkien grew up I don't suppose that's a coincidence :-)

kevin said...

Beautiful pictures Carla!

Carla said...

Thank you, Kevin.