Thanks to Gabriele at The Lost Fort for awarding me this. The recipient has to name five things they are obsessed with, and then name five other blogs they think are fabulous.
I'm going to modify the terms slightly and name five things I'm enthusiastic about:
- Early medieval Britain. Sometimes called "the Dark Ages" (a term I dislike), also sometimes called Anglo-Saxon England (but that misses out the British, Pictish and Scottish/Dal Riadan kingdoms, which are just as interesting), or post-Roman Britain (but that puts too much stress on the Roman Empire, which although it was undoubtedly hugely important was not the only influence).
- Historical fiction (no surprise there).
- Walking and cycling - in mountains I walk, in the lowlands I prefer to cycle.
- Cookery. In the sense that used to be described as "good home cooking", i.e. things that are good to eat, have some resemblance to the seasons, and don't take vast amounts of time to prepare that could be used for doing other things.
- Needlework. Includes embroidery, dressmaking, knitting and quilting, among others. And I can also darn socks.
Five other recipients:
- CW Gortner
- Nan Hawthorne
- Scott Oden (who is, or was until recently, writing a book about Orcs, so the picture that goes with this award is supremely and deliciously incongruous. Anyone fancy Photo-shopping an Orc into the pic in place of the dog? Or in place of the girl, if you're that way inclined)
Edited: someone took me up on this suggestion. So here it is, the world premiere of a brand-new alternative logo: